Saturday 16 February 2008

Etude One (1) - Introduction


Name:


Icarus Hall

Course path:

Digital Animation with Digital Arts

Etude Title:

Character Design and Character Modelling.

For this etude I intend to learn how to efficiently and effectively design and create a character model in 3D Studio Max. I will focus on the head and the eventual concept will be a simple head model that will demonstrate creative simplicity in character modelling. I initially intend to create the model utilising the box modelling technique which I am experienced in but I will research several other methods and techniques to discover how to achieve this more efficiently and evaluate each method through practice, which will be documented. I expect this to aid in my modelling skills in translating character sketch designs into 3D as well as my ability to economise my modelling in terms of the polygon count, which is vital in exporting 3D models into game engines. My initial ideas for the final project involve creating a 3D character and therefore this a key skill in the creative process. Ultimately this will be an exploration in the translation of 2D design into a 3D format, which is now common place in architectural design with the aid of such programs as AutoCAD. In character design the process encompasses many techniques and outside influences from the 2D art stage which in itself is a hybrid of elements and influences to the 3D format which allows the artist to further incorporate or mix various influences and references.

References:

www.autodesk.co.uk/autocad [cited: 16 2nd February 2008]

No comments: