Sunday 2 March 2008

Etude One (1) - Process

I initially attempted to utilise the spline method which seemed promising but the result was unfavourable as to further editing and wasn't as efficient as I thought it would be.





Method Evaluation

I may have caused an error in the splines but when overlooking other examples of this process it seems that its quite inefficient for full form modelling. In addition I'm attempting to keep the model's poly count low and one of the main attributes of spline modelling mentioned in the tutorials was that the model would be smooth and hence a higher poly count. Also the cleaning up and poly editing process after the spline editing seems extensive and inefficient and therefore straightforward polygon editing is preferable.

I then found tutorials on different forms of modelling in 3D for various software as the general techniques involved in the modelling process are generally easily translatable across 3D software platforms. I found a tutorial that demonstrates the method of creating and fleshing out the polygons for each of the facial features and then stitching them together.



Above image - Available at: http://www.3dtotal.com/team/tutorials/juliandobby/julian_dobby_01.asp

[accessed 29 February 2008]

I then went back re analysed my references and utilised this method. This meant continual use of the Extrusion and Weld tools within 3DS Max.







The forming of polygons helped me to economise my polygon count but also the process felt slightly daunting with the process encouraging the maintaining of the models form and thus more polygons were used than intended in some points. This made the stitching process more arduous despite the ease of 3D Max's Weld and Target weld tools.

The lips and nose on the model were created separately using a plane converted to an Editable Poly and formed to fit the mouth area and match the polygon flow or help redirect it.
For the hair I used the same method and created them in seperate chunks that reposition around the head, I then applied the shell modifier to them to add volume.







I'm relatively pleased with the end result but in certain areas during the process when joining the polygons the slightly unstructured process seemed quite daunting and the model lost some of the smooth flow of polygons during the process. An important factor constantly reiterated through tutorials is the importance of the edge flow on the model. I believe the etude was effective in helping evaluate modelling techniques and the final result was an accurate model based on my design and thus showing the translation from 2d to 3d and is thus a hybrid of design. I feel that although the other modelling processes have their benefits they still seem to fall short of simple base box modelling and subdivision in preserving the models continuity and keeping the poly count low.

No comments: